Decoding Jay Z and Justin Timberlake's Brilliant, Dumb "Holy Grail" Video
Jay Z albums are events, mainly because Jay Z declares them to be events and he has a lot of money. In keeping with that, we recently saw the release of his music video for the sort-of-title track of Hova's latest record Magna Carta Holy Grail, Holy Grail, and it is some sort of action-movie train-wreck monstrosity. Also, I love it.
I loved the original track by itself the second I started the album and heard Justin Timberlake's ridiculously melodramatic chorus, which precedes Jay Z's appearance by more than a minute. When Jay finally comes in, it's on like a Michael Bay film. This thing is like Transformers set to music. It's so dumb, but so satisfying, like candy and cake.
The video is no exception. Here's why.
20. Open with the most non-committal gesturing.
19. And then chill in front of the TV for a while.
18. Fooled you! He's actually on the TV too!
17. Alfred? What are you doing here?
16. That snake will never appear again.
15. All this slow-motion is giving Jay Z a headache.
14. Wait, where's JT? Oh shit, there he is.
13. These sheets are sort of like nets in old cartoons. They're impenetrable.
12. And don't look to Justin for help.
11. He's got a burnt Thanksgiving dinner to eat.
Watch Hova and JT burn through more money on the next page.