Mark E. Smith: 10 Outrageous Quotes by the Fall Front Man
Since The Fall's humble beginnings as a learned, literary group of misanthropes in 1976, the one consistent factor of the band has been the insane rambling of legendary front man Mark E. Smith. Smith is known as an idiot, an asshole or a brilliant genius. Sometimes all three at once.
Commonorgarden via Wikipedia
He is an acclaimed lyricist, writing hyper-literate and insular songs that only make sense if you somehow know exactly what he's referring to, but in everyday life Smith is just a hilarious and lovable curmudgeon.
His lyrics may be vague and obscure, but his style in interviews is blunt and direct. He does not mince words about things he doesn't like, and it's made him one of the most instantly quotable interview subjects in the world. As Smith turns 56 years old today, we decided to take a look back at ten of his most outrageous quotes over the years.
10. "I used to be psychic, but I drank my way out of it."
9. "A lot of musicians are really hard to deal with. They aren't as smart as me..."
8. "[They were] dickheads who couldn't hold their beer and needed to get home to Cheshire."
7. "Nuking Russia might not be a bad idea as far as the bleedin' world is concerned. They've plunged a lot of people into miserable lives. You've only got to be in East Germany to see it. It's a horrible way to live. It's like Doncaster."
6. "It's just like music when you reckon it up. It's like, listening to Pavement, it's just the Fall in 1985, isn't it? They haven't got an original idea in their heads."