Beyonce vs. Whitney: Battle of the "Banner"
- Age: 27
- Accessory: Headband
- Historical Context: Super Bowl XXV; first Gulf War
- Arrangement: Symphonic
- Accompaniment: Live orchestra
- Lyrical Accuracy: 100 percent
- Phrasing: More deliberate than anthem is usually sung
- Dynamics: Less range than Beyoncé, but still pronounced
- Percentage on Key: 100 percent
- Mistakes: None
- Controversy: Did she lip-sync?
- Crescendo (glasses shattered out of possible five): Four
- Aftermath: Houston's label, Arista Records, rushed the live recording of "Banner" into stores after the game as a single. Her rendition reached No. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100, and today is widely considered the definitive version of the anthem.
Winner: Sorry, B. Whitney still owns the national anthem. In your heart, you know it's true.
Trivia Answer: The New York Giants defeated the Buffalo Bills, 20-19, in the closest game in Super Bowl history. Bills placekicker Scott Norwood missed a 47-yard field goal as time ran out.