• Summerfest approacheth. We can almost taste it. Or maybe that's just the Brooklyn Zoos at Boondocks
, which will be hosting the official unofficial afterparty
, featuring Roky Moon & BOLT
and a super-secret special guest.
• Dean's Downtown is also hosting an afterparty with Spain Colored Orange, You(genius) and more
• And here is 29-95's follow-up to Great Moments in Flaming Lipstory
• Here's some more previews from Houston Calling: Eastern Sea
, Tax the Wolf
, Ceeplus Bad Knives
, The Gold Sounds
, Sharks and Sailors
, and The Lips
• The Chron
reports that Willie Nelson
is getting a street named after him
in Austin. A street no doubt paid for with taxpayer money. Not that we're saying anything about that... we're just sayin'.
• MCM has been listening to M.I.A. a lot. Cosmic Sound's
gives us the same kind of feeling
• The Western Standards
had some trouble
with the pressing of their new LP
, Energy Centre
, but it should be out in a few more weeks or so.
• Houstonist has a review
of Andrew Karnavas' Film Noir
• Fat Tony
opines on the Houston music scene
and the influence of unfamiliar territory. The post was prompted by an open question forum
on his always-entertaining Tumblr blog.
• Miss Leslie
writes about the Trader's Village Country Music Roots Festival
, and is grateful for all her fans.
• LCD Soundsystem
is looking for extras for a video shoot they're doing tomorrow
. Can you look like you know how to party? Then show up at 5:30 p.m. at Dirt Bar on Yale.
Attention local musicians, music bloggers and music organizations: have something that should be included in Magnolia City Mixtape? Leave a comment below or email brittanieshey (at) gmail (dot) com.