SXSW Extra: What's In My Pockets (Again)?
Next year I think I might get some of those "cargo pants" everybody seems to love...
Another full day and some equally full pants. (Shut up.) Here we go again...
* Handbill, the band One-Eyed Doll, appearing at "Texas Rockfest" tomorrow at the Rock City Icehouse Stage in far North Austin, and Sunday at Red River rock dive Headhunters. Brought to you by indiepower.com. Looks pretty Goth.
* Plastic card good for one free three-month membership to Rhapsody. I mistook this thing for my hotel-room key about a million times tonight.
* Flyer, Texas Turd Fest (TXTF) - promises "Free Shit! Cheap Shit! Better Shit! More Fun Shit! No Fucking Shit!" Produced under the auspices of Beerland, one of the few clubs not participating in SXSW. Why will have to wait - I do fancy myself a journalist, after all - but it's a whopper of a story. Basically, Beerland played chicken with SXSW - and won.
* Business card, Wendy WWAD, Music Editor of rawk-centric Austin periodical Rank and Revue and a living, breathing embodiment of everything great about rock and roll, metal in particular.
* Flyer, "The Best Damn South Austin Throwdown" day party Saturday at Electra Beauty Lounge, 2310 S. Lamar. Organized and promoted by my friend Ashleigh Daniel, whose Joan Jett-like power trio Secret Weapons is the second band on the bill. Also playing are Poor People, The LA Gentlemen Callers, A Few Nice Things, Slowtrain and the Jungle Rockers. Starts 1 p.m., or thereabouts.
* I Am Not a Nugget DVD sampler. Features video clips from Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Thursday, Le Tigre, Death Cab for Cutie, Lamb of God, Dillinger Escape Plan, Andy Dick and "Behind the Scenes of J.Lo's Clothing Line." Sponsored by PETA.
* The Tontons, Sea and Stars EP - My new favorite Houston band. Details to follow in next post.
* Postcard/Flyer/Entry Pass, "Rajiworld +1" day party - Saturday (2-9 p.m.) shindig put together by Austin booking agent par excellence Roggie Bare at South Lamar semi-hippie commune the Enchanted Forest. Performers include AJ Croce, Friends of Dean Martinez, Nakia & His Southern Cousins and Rosie Flores. Craft fair on the premises, of course.
* Handbill, Zykos - Cryptic Austin indie-rockers, most of whom grew up in the Cy-Fair area, have several shows this week. Three tomorrow, two Saturday; see www.myspace.com/zykos for details.
* Flyer, "8-Track Mind Records Day Party" - 1-6 p.m. Saturday at Longbranch Inn, 1133 E. 11th St., with the Beltholes, Sally Crewe & the Sudden Moves, Chris Brokaw, Future Clouds & Radar and Summer Wardrobe. Free.
* Business card, "Pirates for the Preservation of New Orleans Music" - Nonprofit steered by my friend Darcie Jane Fromholz in conjunction with scalawag Austin rockers the Jolly Garogers. See www.ppnom.com for more.
* Handbill, "7th Annual Porchlight Pop Fest" - Long-standing local SXSW diversion that long outgrew its modest South Lamar studio beginnings and expands to two days this year. At the Salvage Vanguard Theater, 2803 Manor Rd., noon-8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, with Zookeeper, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, Joan of Arc, Earlimart, Fivehead and many more. Free.
* Flyer, Oh, Beast! - Austin perv-rockers' lone SXSW appearance, 12:30 p.m. Saturday at the Scoot Inn. Fond of rendering Bryan Adams' "Cuts Like a Knife" completely unrecognizable - Chris Gray