Just How Houston Are You? Sports Edition
There was one of those stupid Twitter hashtags things about Houston this week, this one showing just how much of a Houstonian a person really is. I'm tired of writing about the depressing antics of the Houston Astros and CSN Houston, and I had to miss this week's CUSA Football Media Day in Dallas because of work issues. And frankly, I'm much too lazy to come up with something original to write about. So, with a sports theme, here's my version of #ImSoHouston...
Just how Houston are you? Do you remember this team?
1. ...that I remember when the Houston Rockets couldn't even sell out Hofheinz Pavilion.
2. ...that I remember Nolan Ryan pitching for the New York Mets.
3. ...that I remember what it was like to be awed by the best scoreboard spectacle in all sports.
4. ...that when I was a kid, the Houston Cougars played football in a major college football conference and went to major bowl games on a yearly basis.
5. ...that I recall Tal Smith when he was the beloved, recently deposed general manager of a playoff baseball team and not the guy who helped to destroy a winning franchise.
6. ...that I actually attended Houston Astros baseball games in the Astrodome during the 1970s.
7. ...that I actually saw Gordie Howe wearing a Houston Aeros sweater skating on the ice inside the Sam Houston Coliseum.
8. ...that I was one of the few people to attend Houston Hurricane NASL soccer games in the Astrodome in the late 1970s.
9. ...that I remember when the Houston Cougars basketball squad was a nationally respected power playing in a major conference.
10. ...that I still think of the Houston Texans as a failed WFL franchise that folded and moved to Shreveport.
11. ...that I'll fight anybody claiming César Cedeño was not the best center fielder in Astros history.
12. ...that I remember when the only thing about the Astros worth cheering was Bob Watson scoring the one millionth run in MLB history.