Fantasy Crime League Update: Aldon Smith Begins What Could Be 49er Surge
If Vegas had put out a big board on Sunday afternoon with a futures bet on "Next San Francisco 49er most likely to be charged with a crime," the prohibitive favorite would have been quarterback Colin Kaepernick.
Aldon Smith and his poor choice of bomb joke venues.
After all, Kaepernick is under investigation for a "suspicious incident" in Miami where a woman was doing shots and smoking weed with Kaepernick and two other players, got naked with Kaepernick, and then woke up the next day in a hospital.
Kaepernick's been charged with nothing so far, but certainly he would seem to be teetering the closest to an arrest.
But when you're Aldon Smith, I guess you're always teetering close to an arrest just by being Aldon Smith, and on Sunday, you Kaepernick bettors would've had to crumple up your tickets.
Aldon Smith, Criminal, is back!
Many of you know Aldon Smith as the pass rushing beast for a stout Niner defense, but I think the best way to reintroduce him in proper context here is to do a Troy McClure-style intro. So here goes:
"Hi, I'm Aldon Smith...you may remember me from such films as 'Assault Weapon House Party' and 'DUI Once, DUI Twice'! Well today, I'm back and I'm showing you exactly how to get TSA to cuff you because of random bomb threats!"
Sunday, Smith was detained at LAX Airport when he was randomly selected by TSA for closer inspection, and decided to get a little high-handed, including making comments that would imply he had a bomb on him.
Here is video of Smith's arrest, courtesy of TMZ:
Last season, Smith missed five games while he was in alcohol rehab following a DUI arrest. Apparently, the rehab may not have stuck, since he appeared to be drunk (according to eyewitnesses) at the time of his arrest. Despite missing those five games, Smith finished with 12 sacks and 34 tackles over the course of the 2013 season, which ended in a 49ers loss in the NFC Championship Game to division rival Seattle.
Smith, 24, is still facing charges for both the arrest for the incident at his home and the September arrest for drunk driving. Now, the league could be stepping in on the heels of this latest incident. Smith avoided the wrath of Roger Goodell in 2013 because he voluntarily sought treatment; however, given the possible involvement of alcohol with this arrest, combined with the nature of it, we could see a league-imposed suspension on Smith.
I don't know if Smith was actually carrying a bomb or if he was just making a really poor (and illegal) joke, but if the treatment of his career is any indication, if he were concocting a bomb, it would have blown up in the middle of his constructing it, long before he ever got to the airport.
Kaeprnick is back on the clock, with the possibility of extending the Niners' FCL lead.....
The 2014 FCL standings are updated....
2014 FANTASY CRIME LEAGUE STANDINGS
1 point .. misdemeanor
3 points .. felony
10 points .. murder
49ERS .. 10
* 3/28/14: 49ers CB Chris Culliver is charged with felony hit and run, misdemeanor reckless driving, and felony possession of brass knuckles.
* 4/13/14: 49ers DE Aldon Smith is charged with felony false report of a bomb threat.
COLTS .. 3
* 3/16/14: Colts owner Jim Irsay is arrested for DUI and possession of a controlled substance (felony)
RAVENS .. 3
* 2/14/14: Ravens RB Ray Rice is charged with third degree assault.
* 2/21/14: Ravens WR Deonte Thompson is arrested for suspicion of possession of marijuana.
* 3/9/14: Raves OL Jah Reid is arrested on two counts of battery.
FALCONS .. 1
* 2/18/14: Falcons WR Roddy White is arrested for failing to appear in court.
TITANS .. 1
* 3/20/14: Titans DE Adewale Ojomo is arrested for solicitation of prostitution.
BENGALS .. 1
* 3/31/14: Bengals FB Orson Charles is charged with wanton endangerment.
RAMS .. 1
* 3/29/14: Rams CB Greg Reid is arrested for violating probation.