I-45 in Harris County: Most Teen Car Crashes in Texas
Plus, if you're in Harris County, you have the added excitement of crashing at almost any moment.
Allstate has put out a study of the worst highway stretches for car crashes involving Texas teens from 2006 to 2010, and our very own I-45 gets the top spot.
It doesn't get more specific than "Harris County," but we're betting the stretch between Houston and Galveston contributed more than its fair share.
I-45 had almost 3,100 car crashes involving teens in that time period; the second-most were the 1,910 that happened on....I-10 in Harris County. Probably involving teens on their way to I-45.
The time between Memorial Day and Labor Day is known as the "100 Deadliest Days." More teens die in car crashes during this period than during any other.
"Car crashes are the number one killer of Texas teens," said Michael Walker, an Allstate agent in Austin. "Summer is almost here and when school is out, more teens will be hitting the highways across the state. This data should spur parents and community leaders to take action and teach our teen drivers that speeding, distractions and carelessness can be costly."
Also: Stay out of Bexar County.
1. I-45, Harris County: 3,091 crashes
2. I-10, Harris County: 1,910
3. I-10, Bexar County: 1,727
4. I-35, Bexar County: 1,668
5. SL1604, Bexar County: 1,648
6. I-410, Bexar County: 1,600
7. I-35, Travis County: 1,579
8. I-635, Dallas County: 1,489
9. US 59, Harris County: 1,440
10. FM 1960, Harris County: 1,365
11. I-45, Montgomery County: 1,276
12. I-10, El Paso County: 1,231
13. US 281, Bexar County: 1,201
14. I-35 E, Dallas County: 1,162
15. I-610, Harris County: 1,112