Ten Houston Neighborhoods: The Crimes They Experience
So we decided to zero in on a few specific neighborhoods and see what crime's been going down in them.
The numbers all come from the Houston police beat statistics; the most recent information available is from November. These are just whatever happened that month and not necessarily any indication of what usually happens, not to mention that in some places a specific location like an apartment complex can skew impressions.
With those caveats out of the way, let's look at ten areas around town and see what's had the police busy in terms of major crimes (excluding theft, because there's just too much of it for us.)
In no particular order:
10. Montrose: Burglaries are big here, with 30 for the month; nine auto thefts, seven aggravated assaults and six robberies.
9. Downtown: Auto thefts rule here, with 22. Only three burglaries, but eight robberies and eight aggravated assaults. There was also a rape.
8. Oak Forest/Garden Oaks: This northwest side neighborhood had a dozen burglaries and six robberies, but only three auto thefts and a single aggravated assault.
7. NASA area: Not much going on here in November: four auto thefts, three robberies and two each of burglaries and aggravated assaults.
6. Fondren Southwest: A wee bit busier than around the Johnson Space Center. Forty burglaries, 22 aggravated assaults, 17 robberies and 14 auto thefts.
5. The Heights: Seventeen burglaries is nothing to sneeze at, but other than ten auto thefts not much to report: five robberies, three aggravated assaults and two rapes.