Three months after 27-year-old Raul Hernandez was electrocuted in the pool of the Westchase Hilton Hotel, the Harris County District Attorney's Office has charged two electricians who worked on the pool with criminally negligent homicide.
Contributed photo Raul Hernandez died after being electrocuted in the Westchase Hilton pool.
Assistant District Attorney Bill Exley said he began looking into the case based on Houston Police Officer K. Ferguson's report. Hernandez and his family had been spending the afternoon at the pool after Hernandez that day. Most of the people had left when Hernandez's mother, Maria Isabel Duran, called to her youngest son, David Duran, to get out of the pool.
Hernandez and his girlfriend were sitting on the edge of the pool. David was moving to the edge of the pool when the electric pool lights flicked on and he began convulsing. Duran moved through the water, trying to get to her son, but couldn't. Hernandez jumped into the water and managed to shove his baby brother to the side. He and his mother were still in the pool, electricity coursing through them, when someone turned the lights off. Hernandez never regained consciousness and died a few days later.
Jason Gorczyca and James Pyle have been charged with criminally negligent homicide, a charge that carries a penalty of six months to two years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000, for their work on the pool.More »