Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End
All photos by Abrahán Garza Wayside at Clinton Drive. One of many entrances into the East End.
For our seventh installment of the HoustoricProject, we bring you the East End. The East End covers a vast area that starts at the eastern edge of downtown and runs to the Port of Houston and south to Hobby Airport. The Eastwood Subdivision, one of Houston's first master-planned communities, turned 100 this year in September. To celebrate, independent curator Diane Barber organized the East End Then & Now photo exhibit that coincided with the Eastwood Civic Association Home Tour. It featured photos of the area from historic city archives mashed with the current locations.
Here are some of the results:
1. Children outside the Church of the Redeemer, Episcopal. 4411 Dallas Street
Taken from the corner of Eastwood Street and Telephone Road. No telling when the apartment building in the background lost its awnings.
2. La Reynera Panaderia-Bakery 4120 McKinney
Originally opened in 1945 as Albritton's Eats, La Reynera Panaderia-Bakery is still serving the East End in the original art-deco structure.
3. Eastwood Theater. 4537 Leeland Street.
Opened in March 1936, featured four screens and had 1,057 seats. The Eastwood Theater was modeled after the Tower Theater (now El Real Tex-Mex Cafe on Westheimer).
Continues on next page.