Family Sues After a Man's Electrocution Death in a Hilton Hotel Pool

Categories: Courts

raul_hernandez_hilton.jpg
Photo contributed by family of Raul Hernandez
Raul Hernandez, 27, died after being electrocuted in the Westchase Hilton pool.
It's been only a month since it happened. Maria Isabel Duran's body has healed. Her youngest son, David Duran, 11, has gone back to school. But there's a space at the dining room table where her oldest son, Raul Hernandez, used to sit and the family walks around in a daze, still finding it hard to believe the 27-year-old is dead.

Duran has told the story so many times now, speaking in rapid-fire Spanish, but she's living it again each time she tells it. On August 31, Raul and his girlfriend and her daughter had just gotten back into town from vacation. The couple was staying in the Westchase Hilton Hotel and invited Raul's family to come over and go swimming.

They'd spent the afternoon splashing around the pool, but it was getting late and most of the families had already left. Raul was sitting on the side of the pool with his girlfriend, Duran was in the middle of the pool and David was in the deep end. Duran called to David that it was time to get out of the pool and he was moving toward the edge when the underwater lights snapped on, and his body began convulsing.

Duran was lunging through the water toward her son when the electric current began snaking through her body. She couldn't see, she couldn't move or think or feel anything but the pain. The thrum of electricity filled her ears. Her muscles and nerves were on fire.

My Voice Nation Help
3 comments
Riley Gilbert
Riley Gilbert

I could see the hotel using a defense of the family staying at the hotel (not Raul's) was only permitted X amount of guests. Therefore, they shouldn't have been on site anyways. Sad that this young man has passed, but unfortunately.. this may get the Hilton off the hook, but not the contractor.

Now Trending

Houston Concert Tickets

From the Vault

 

Loading...