It's College Football Quiz Time (for Houston and Texas)
Another college football season kicks off this weekend. The national media focus, as always, is on Alabama, LSU, and the schools of the SEC. There's a bunch of interest just up in the road in College Station, with the Aggies being relevant to the world of college football for the first time since R.C. Slocum was run off campus - and hey, Johnny Football's managed to stay out of trouble for at least a week.
Memories from the old days of Texas college football
There have been a few more conference switch-ups. UH has moved onward and upwards, it hopes. The Owls are looking to hit a bowl game for the second straight season. The Longhorns are looking to regain some relevance in the state.
With all of the changes, with all of the stories, I'm sure you've been devouring each bit of college football news. So how about a little pop quiz to see just how up-to-date you are on the college football world in Houston and in Texas.
1. Last season's Heisman Trophy was won by Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel. Manziel returns to the Aggies for his sophomore year, and in the process, he's in the running to become a repeat winner of the trophy. In the history of the Heisman, only one player has ever won the Heisman twice.
A. Tim Tebow
B. Archie Griffin
C. Earl Campbell
D. Herschel Walker
E. Doak Walker
2. Manziel has spent quite a lot of time in the spotlight this off-season. What's the one thing he hasn't done, or been alleged to have done, during that time?
A. Sign autographs for pay
B. Accept courtside seats from any NBA team that would hand them out
C. Leave the Manning Camp early
D. Act like most normal college kids who aren't under media microscopes
E. Take a class on campus
3. The Houston Cougars are moving to what conference?
A. Big East
B. Conference USA Version 2.0
C. Atlantic Coast Conference
D. American Athletic Conference
E. Southwest Conference
4. The Cougars will be playing their home games at what stadium(s) this season?
A. Robertson Stadium, Reliant Stadium, Rice Stadium
B. Reliant Stadium, BBVA Compass, Rice Stadium
C. Rice Stadium, Minute Maid Park, BBVA Compass
D. Texas Stadium, Rice Stadium, Reliant Stadium
E. Reliant Stadium, Minute Maid Park, Robertson Stadium
5. The Rice Owls last played in bowl games in consecutive seasons when?
B. 1947, 1948 (Orange, Cotton)
C. 1961, 1961 (Sugar, Bluebonnet)
D. 2007, 2008 (New Orleans, Texas)
E. 1937, 1938 (Rose, Cotton)