And Just Where Was Tinker Bell In All This?
It turns out someone in the district had read the latest U.S. Food and Drug Administration memo recalling certain jars of peanut butter thought to be contaminated with Salmonella.
As the HISD press release stated:
Alerted by the FDA recall and fearful that parents might not know about it, HISD moved quickly Thursday morning to collect peanut butter sandwiches that children brought from home and replace them with safe sandwiches made in school cafeterias. The Food and Drug Administration warned consumers Wednesday not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan peanut butter or Great Value peanut butter due to risk of contamination with Salmonella Tennessee (a bacterium that causes foodborne illness). The affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter have a product code located on the lid of the jar that begins with the number "2111."
The press release went on to say that at West U, Principal John Threet had several telephone calls from parents Thursday morning thanking him and a couple of parents confirmed they had indeed sent their children to school with the recalled peanut butter.
Whew, if only Homeland Security was this good. — Margaret Downing