How To: Make Super Bowl Jell-O Shots in Your Team's Colors
Here's what you'll need for the Broncos:
Photo by Kaitlin Steinberg Fortunately, the teams in the Super Bowl this year have good colors.
1 large package orange Jell-O
1 large package blue Jell-O
1 box of plain gelatin (4 packs in a box)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 cups vodka (or any other liquor you want to use)
Step 1. Boil two cups of water.
Step 2. Add boiling water to one package of orange Jell-O powder in mixing bowl.
Step 3. Stir with a whisk until Jell-O powder is completely incorporated.
Step 4. Add 1 cup cold water.
Step 5. Add 1 cup vodka.
Step 6. Pour into plastic shot cups until one-third of the cup is full.
Step 7. Allow first layer to set in refrigerator.
Step 8. Add 3 cups of water to pot on the stove, and sprinkle four packages of plain gelatin (one whole box) into the water.
Step 9. Stir over low heat, incorporating the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla while you're stirring. Mix should get hot but not quite boiling.
Step 10. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of vodka. Allow to cool.
Step 11. Once the orange layer has set, pour a thin layer of the white gelatin on top of it, then return to the refrigerator.
Step 12. Repeat steps 1-5 with blue Jell-O.
Step 13. Add 20 drops of blue food coloring, 20 drops of red food coloring and 6 drops of green food coloring to the mix to make navy blue.
Step 14. Once the white layer has set, pour a thin layer of navy blue on top of it. By now, the cups should be nearly full.
Step 15. Allow the shots to completely set for several hours or overnight.
- If, like me, you have leftover Jell-O in a single color thanks to inexact measurements, get creative! I found myself with extra orange and white (but no extra Broncos blue), so I made orange dreamsicle shots. I also had leftover green from the Seahawks, so I added some lime extract to give them a little extra zing.
- Arrange the shot cups on metal baking sheets to make transferring in and out of the refrigerator easier.
- Use whipped cream vodka for the white layer, and try other flavored vodkas for other colors. Just make sure the flavors go well together.
- This whole process takes about three hours, because you have to wait for the layers to solidify before you can add another layer. Watch a movie while you're doing it.
- Purchase shot cups as well as lids for easy stacking.
- If you want to make the shots all one flavor, use unflavored gelatin and food coloring. You can find recipes for specific cocktail Jell-O shots online (like margarita or cosmo).
- Use good vodka. There's nothing worse than a Jell-O shot that tastes like fake fruit and rubbing alcohol. I recommend Deep Eddy, Dripping Springs or Tito's, 'cause if the Texans aren't going to be at the Superbowl, you should at least serve Texas liquor.