Sweet Meets Savory: Chocolate Peanut Butter Oreo Popcorn
About two weeks ago, H-E-B ran a special on Oreos, offering $3 off if you bought three packages ($2.99 each). Of course, in my mind, six bucks for three different types of Oreos seemed like an incredible deal. And it was, sort of, because it enabled me to make Oreo fudge, Oreo cupcakes and multiple Oreo sundaes.
Photo by Joanna O'Leary Chocolate Peanut Butter Oreo Popcorn
Unfortunately, I ran out of ideas before I ran out of cookies. Not that there aren't an infinite number of recipes out there for Oreo treats (I hadn't even tapped into the world of cheesecakes), but I was a bit tired of uniformly sweet Oreo-themed goodies. I am happy to report, however, that the remaining stock of my beloved sandwich cookies did not simply languish in the pantry. Oreo popcorn, a delicious compromise between salty and sweet, presented itself after
four hours of tipsy Pinterest food porn perusal some swift, efficient online research.
In the spirit of dancing to the beat of a different drummer, I decided to use my remaining peanut butter Oreos to make chocolate peanut butter Oreo popcorn (with sprinkles!) rather than just plain Oreo popcorn. Recipe after the jump:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Oreo Popcorn
- 1 bag microwave popcorn (regular; "extra butter" is too rich)
- 15 peanut butter Oreos
- 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 handful sprinkles
- Crush Oreos into small chunks (or large chunks if you want to have something approaching whole cookies stuck to your corn).
- Pop corn in the microwave. Discard any unpopped kernels.
- Spread popped corn on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave slowly (2-4 minutes, stirring at intervals) or on the stovetop.
- Pour melted chocolate on top of popcorn. Sprinkle with Oreo chunks and dust with sprinkles.
- Allow mixture to rest in the fridge for about 1 hour before serving.
Tip: Pair with 1% milk and a viewing of The Hobbit.
Warning: It is very possible for one person to consume the entire batch, especially if she had a light dinner.