Health Department Round Up: Pho, Cheesesteaks, Seoul-Searching and More
Last week's entry was so long that we had to leave off a couple places. (And for the record: No, we're not actually offended by the name "House of Guys.") Starting with those two: Pho Binh Trailer (10928 Beamer) avoided a citation but earned seven violations, including potentially hazardous food not held at proper temperatures; ice machine not set up in a way that prevents contamination; dirty non-food-contact surfaces; dirty and poorly maintained wall and ceiling; and poorly designed or maintained equipment.
Jenni's Noodle House (3111 S. Shepherd) also avoided a citation, despite racking up eight violations. Jenni's problems included spoiled or mislabeled food; potentially hazardous food not marked with disposition time; raw and cooked food not kept separate; potentially hazardous food cooled improperly; and no Food Service Manager's Certification.
On to new business, starting with good news. The Egg and I (14075 Memorial) had just one violation, hand-washing sink/related feature not kept clean. A handful of other places didn't fare as well.
Zoe's Kitchen (5779 San Felipe), despite earning just four violations, received a citation for issues that included ice machine not set up in a way that prevents contamination; food employee not wear proper hair restraint; openings to the outside not protected against the entrance of pests; and no Food Service Manager's Certification.
Seoul Garden (9446 Long Point) -- there might be a Doors joke not named Jim Morrison somewhere in there, but frankly, we're tired and kind of busy -- didn't receive a citation and tallied a less-than-shocking five violations. One of those, though, was a particularly unappetizing issue: "Establishment not removing (dead/trapped) (insects/rodents/pests) from premises at frequency that prevents the accumulation of pests."
Pho Ga Dakao (11778 Bellaire), a favorite of ours that specializes in the chicken version of the Vietnamese noodle soup, had a rough time as well. Inspectors issued a citation after finding half a dozen violations, including poisonous/toxic materials not stored in a way that prevents contamination; openings to the outside not protected against the entrance of pests; no valid mobile food-service medallion; and potentially hazardous foods being thawed improperly.
Finally, Jake's Philly Steaks (2994 Chimney Rock) also got a ticket for eight violations. Jake's problems included no Food Service Manager's Certification; openings to the outside not protected against the entrance of pests; moist cleaning cloths used improperly; and poorly designed or maintained equipment.
Follow Eating Our Words on Facebook and on Twitter @EatingOurWords
10928 Beamer Road, Houston, TX