Odd Pair at Absolve: Wish You Were There
Our latest Eating Our Words event -- Odd Pair at Absolve -- went so well yesterday that we wish we could host it every Sunday. Although the event was sold out, the concept of Odd Pair also translates well to a party at home, whether for 100 or just a few close friends.
Photos by Groovehouse Click here for a full slideshow from Odd Pair.
If you weren't able to make it out to yesterday's sold-out pairing, here's how to host your own Odd Pair party at home:
1. Choose your pairings. Favorite stations yesterday included Pinot Grigio with egg rolls (especially with the sweet and sour sauce), chips and queso with Chardonnay and chopped beef sandwiches with Malbec. Dessert favorites included Reese's peanut butter cups with Cabernet and donuts with Riesling. For more ideas, go back through our weekly Odd Pair columns and choose the ones that sound the best/weirdest.
2. Set up stations. You don't have to have a large space to host your own Odd Pair. You can simply set out plates of food with a bottle of the corresponding wine directly next to it on the coffee table, sideboard, kitchen counter or even card tables. This doesn't have to be fancy, and it shouldn't be. We suggest making little labels (we'd probably use index cards, because we're just that lazy...and, hey, free office supplies!) so your guests know what they're eating/drinking, in case you invite people over who have never seen a cheese pizza before.
Egg rolls are an easy item to pick up or have delivered.
3. Buy plastic plates and wine glasses. Seriously. Keep it casual, give yourself less to clean up and give your guests less opportunity to break your stemware. It will happen.
4. Go with fast food. The whole point of Odd Pair is to enjoy silly junk food or fast food with your wine. Don't overthink it. Decided to do a chips and queso pairing? Just set up a crock pot with a block of Velveeta, a can of Ro-Tel and a jar of sliced jalapenos to go with your Tostitos. Want to do tater tots and Verdejo? Hit up Sonic for a few large orders of tater tots. Have fun with it.
5. Don't take yourself too seriously. After all, what's the point of having an ultra-casual wine pairing if you can't wear ratty old jeans and laugh at each other? Enjoy yourselves.
For more photos from yesterday's Odd Pair event, check out our slideshow.