Health Dept. Roundup: 77072-77076
A March 20 pre-opening inspection at the Maxim Club (11360 Bellaire Blvd. in 77072) found insects were not prevented from entering through holes in the floors, walls or ceilings or because doors were not installed tightly or not self-closing. Also, the plumbing was found not to be sized, installed or maintained properly.
At Southern Noodle (6518 Wilcrest in 77072), both the fortune-cookie processing and noodle processing areas racked up several violations. Inspectors found equipment not clean to the sight and touch, and that the facility did not provide at least 50 foot-candles of light for workers. Also, equipment used for preparation of potentially hazardous foods on the production line was not washed, rinsed or sanitized regularly throughout the day. Effective measures intended to minimize rodents, flies and cockroaches also were not used, and the floors were not kept clean in several areas of the facility. The facility had particular problems in its restrooms, where inspectors found toilets not kept free of "objectionable odors," no hand-washing soap or towels at the sinks and, where soap dispensers and hand-drying devices did exist, these were not kept clean or in good repair.
In 77074, a March 24 routine inspection at Tropical Diner & Cocktail Lounge (9409 S. Gessner) found potentially hazardous food not maintained at 41 degrees Fahrenheit in cold storage and approved methods for rapid cooling not used. Also, single-use articles were not stored at least 6 inches from ground or in closed cartons to prevent contamination.
A March 25 inspection at Sarita's Bakery (9756 Bauman in 77076) found equipment not cleaned often enough to keep it free of dust, dirt and other debris. Fifty foot-candles of light also were not provided over the working surface, the walls or ceiling were not maintained in good repair, and the screens on windows or doors were found not to be tight-fitting or free of holes. Multiuse equipment utensils also were not found to be made of or repaired with safe materials, potentially hazardous food was not maintained at 41 degrees in cold storage, and food was, well, found not to be "safe for human consumption."
Figures there'd be a citation for that.