Dessert Gallery's Luscious Lemon Cake
If a food isn't labeled "luscious," why bother eating it? Sara Brook of the Dessert Gallery, whose flagship store recently moved to a new location at Richmond and Kirby, shared her recipe for Luscious Lemon Cake. The three yellow cake layers are dampened with lemon syrup, lemon curd and frosting.
The recipe, after the jump.
Our Favorite Yellow Cake
Note: It's not important to use this exact recipe. Your own favorite yellow cake recipe or a yellow cake mix will also work just fine.
4 ounces margarine, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 cup granulated sugar
5 egg yolks
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
5 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease three nine-inch circular pans.
2. Cream margarine, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add yolks gradually and mix well.
3. Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture alternating with buttermilk. Mix in vanilla.
4. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks but not dry. Fold whipped egg whites into mixing batter.
5. Divide the batter between the three pans and bake for 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool completely before frosting.
Luscious Lemon Filling & Frosting
1 pound unsalted butter
2 1/2 pound powdered sugar
2 ounces lemon juice
1-2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Whisk unsalted butter. Add powdered sugar until blended.
2. Add lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Blend completely, scraping the bottom of the bowl as needed.
Monin or Torani lemon syrup
10-12 ounces lemon curd or lemon pudding
Assemble the Cake
1. Place cooled cake layer on serving plate. Brush layer lightly with lemon syrup.
2. Spread 1/4 of the prepared frosting on first layer.
3. Spread 1/3 of the lemon curd on top of the frosting. Repeat process until all 3 layers are stacked, filled and iced. Spread remaining 1/3 lemon curd on top of cake for decoration.