50 Things We Learned From the 2013 Year in Movies
25. Be careful Will Ferrell. Just...be careful.
26. "Listen, I'm the captain now," is one of the great lines of the year.
27. Robert Downey Jr. will be Iron Man until there are more Robert Downey Juniors.
28. Hugh Jackman will be Wolverine until he's President Hugh Jackman in 2024.
29. Vin Diesel will be Riddick until he says different.
30. "Indie filmmaking" is a meaningless term at this point.
31. Jurassic Park is still awesome.
32. Die Hard sequels need to die.
33. Whoa, whoa hang on, did I just see Jonah Hill's peni -- Oh, no, OK. Phew.
34. One of the best, most-overlooked performances of the year is that tiny lifeboat in Captain Phillips.
35. Sofia Coppola's The Bling Ring got buried in major media for some reason. Go watch it. It's really good.
36. Upstream Color director (and former Dallasite) Shane Carruth needs to continue to buck the Hollywood machine.
37. Monsters University sucked; Frozen was awesome. Pixar and Disney have done some sort of Freaky Friday thing.
38. World War Z didn't suck, promise.
39. Neither did the remake to Carrie, directed by Kimberly Pierce (of Boys Don't Cry).
40. If J.J. Abrams quit and decided to be a park ranger, really cool movies would continue to be made.
41. After Bridesmaids, Melissa McCarthy has become a typecast punchline.
42. The "cat strangling" phone sex scene in Her is the best scene involving technology in film of the year.
43. Gravity, in 3D, is the only film ever that actually needed 3D. OK, maybe March of the Penguins. BUT STILL.
44. At this point, everyone's fine with Phillip Seymour Hoffman being a hero hiding in the guise of a villain.
45. OK, fine, we'll go back and watch Spring Breakers.
46. Man of Steel was bad, but Hans Zimmer's soundtrack is really, really cool.
47. Louis CK makes everyone laugh, everywhere.
48. Vince Vaughn actually died somewhere after Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story. Every film since then has involved a Vince Vaughn robot.
49. Between Mud, Gravity, Her, The Bling Ring, Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, Captain Phillips, 12 Years A Slave, Dallas Buyers Club, Inside Llewyn Davis, and 47 Ronin we had an incredible year. OK, just kidding about the last one.
50. Fellow Texan Matthew McConaughey? What a year, sir. What a year.
Nick Rallo is a Dallas-based writer. Follow him on Twitter at @nickrallo. This story originally appeared in the Dallas Observer.